Your child’s seemingly straight teeth may conceal underlying dental issues only a trained orthodontic professional can detect and address. Dr. Reza Arzegar is not only a pediatric dentist, but also certified in orthodontics, allowing him to provide your child with the orthodontic care they need to achieve a healthy, properly aligned smile.
Phase one orthodontic treatment, also known as interceptive orthodontic treatment, focuses on identifying and preventing problems in your child’s oral development as early as possible. This proactive approach can mitigate or even eliminate potential issues that may worsen over time. These issues include:
- Jaw Misalignment or TMJ Disorders: Interceptive orthodontics can correct jaw alignment issues that might lead to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, alleviating future pain and discomfort.
- Harmful Oral Habits: Early intervention can break habits like finger sucking or tongue thrusting, which can negatively impact dental development.
- Trauma Due to Protruding Front Teeth: Preventing protruding front teeth through interceptive orthodontics reduces the risk of trauma resulting from accidents or falls.
- Airway Issues: Addressing airway problems early can improve breathing and overall health.
- Speech Issues: Correcting oral issues in childhood can enhance speech development and communication skills.
Moreover, interceptive orthodontics guides your child’s teeth and jaws into correct positions as they develop, promoting proper oral function and a balanced, confidence-boosting smile. Early preventive care often results in shorter, less complicated future orthodontic treatments, yielding superior outcomes compared to interventions later in life.
The American Association of Orthodontists® (AAO) recommends an initial orthodontic screening for children by age 7, although some orthodontists suggest consultations even earlier. We invite you to call Longhorn Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics at 512-892-2443 today to schedule a consultation with our pediatric dentist and learn more information about interceptive orthodontics in Austin, Texas.